Skip to Navigation

Secondary Dwellings (Granny Flats, Garden Flats)

Need extra space for granny or the grown up child that refuses to move out? A secondary dwelling in your backyard may be the answer.

A secondary dwelling, often known as a granny flat or garden flat, is a self contained extension of a family home. They can be a converted area of an existing home, an extension to a home, or a detached new house on the same lot of land as the principal house.

Since Council resolved to waive the development contribution fees for secondary dwellings the Council fees to build one have been significantly reduced.

In order to comply, a secondary dwelling can be no bigger than 60sqm and must meet requirements on height, building setbacks, maximum site coverage and maximum floor area.

Byron Shire Council recently held an information evening on what can be built under the NSW Government’s Affordable Rental Housing – State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP). The information produced below was provided to assist participants in determining whether a secondary dwelling was the answer for them. Council has also provided information to assist in lodging development applications for this type of development. 

For further information please contact Council's Local Approvals and Certification (LAC) division: